Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tips & Tricks Day!

Good afternoon everyone and Happy New Year!!! In my last post I shared with you that I had learned how to make the perfect scant 1/4 inch seam every time.  Today, I want to share with you my tip & trick.

As you might know, while I was working on my last quilt top I was having trouble with losing size on my blocks as I squared them up.  I realized after doing some research that I was using a true 1/4 inch seam instead of a scant 1/4 inch seam (used for quilting).  I saw lots of blogs giving different ways to fix this, but they weren't working for me.  So I made a stack of painters masking tape with about 5 layers of thickness and cut it straight across at one end.  I lowered my needle down on the 1/4 inch mark of my ruler and then laid my tape down on my machine butted up against the ruler's edge.  Now every time I get a perfect scant 1/4 inch and a perfectly straight seam.  Love it! And the great thing is you can do this for any size seam you need for your projects, it doesn't leave a sticky residue and it comes off easily.

Linking up to:

Sew at Home Mummy

2 comments:

  1. Awesome trick! I love it! Thanks for posting about it, and thanks for linking up!
    Happy New Year!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you ; ) it can make all the difference

    ReplyDelete